[clue-talk] restructuring a CVS repository

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Wed Jun 1 20:58:43 MDT 2005

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 8:17 pm, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Jeff Cann wrote:
> >Just move it in the repository.  Make sure that the people who have a
> > sandbox:
> >
> >1.  commit everything
> >2.  do a 'cvs release' -- this releases watchers, etc.
> >
> >3.  move the directory in the cvs repository - e.g., suppose you want to
> > move module1, which is located :  /cvs/repository/project1/module1
> >
> > $ mv /cvs/repository/project1/module1 /cvs/repository/project2
> >
> >That's it.
> >
> >Moving a module / project is hard as people like to make it sound.  What's
> >annoying to some is that you cannot easily rename a file within a project.
> >You have to do a 'cvs remove oldfile' and 'cvs add newfile'
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) If I don't know or can't make everyone commit/release, can I force this?

You can make an email announcement.  There's also a way for CVS to run a
script on certain actions of a user.  I haven't tried this, but in theory you
could have a script do some type of notification.   Here's a link to the
manual:

 + https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.20/cvs_18.html#SEC167

> 2) Does sourceforge allow you to modify your repository files or wipe
> them out?

I have no idea.  I've been admin of my own cvs repositories on my own servers.

Jeff
--
"Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends
to create."

http://isuma.org/