[clue-talk] The Coming Storm? Nano/AI/Skynet

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Mar 9 02:22:56 MST 2005

On 8 Mar 2005, at 11:47 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> http://www.kurzweiltech.com/aboutray.html
> http://www.kurzweilai.net/
> http://www.cio.com/archive/101504/interview.html
>
> His book, "The Age of Spiritual Machines" is pretty heady stuff.
> http://www.penguinputnam.com/static/packages/us/kurzweil/excerpts/
> exmain.htm
> and I recommend it for anyone who has an interest in the future of
> technology.

Artificial life is a great topic.  I read _The Age of Spiritual
Machines_, though, and can't recommend it.

One interesting thing in the field of cellular automata are Stephen
Wolfram's ideas (the guy that wrote Mathematica).  He is of the opinion
that cellular automata are how we should be representing the universe,
rather than differential equations.  I don't know about all of that,
but he wrote a 1,000 page book on the subject called _A New Kind of
Science_. (Me, I love differential equations, I'd be bummed if
something supplanted them as our primary model-building tool).

There are also several packages you can get for *nix to do your own
artificial life simulations.

And on a tangentially related note, BoingBoing just posted a link about
researchers that are going to be creating mice with brains constructed
of human brain cells.

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/03/08/mice_with_human_brai.html

Tim
Timothy Klein: tecce at silverklein.net