[clue-talk] Digital Music player for Linx, Mac, Windows (open source server)

J. Joseph Benavidez hasuf at pobox.com
Thu Mar 24 13:18:09 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 21:18 -0700, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Wow, nice idea:
>
> http://www.slimdevices.com/
>
> Windows, Mac, and Linux Open source
>
> Kevin

I've got the original slimp3 player and the 2nd gen squeezebox. I
couldn't miss an opportunity to say I love these things to death. I rip
all my music to flac (lossless encoding) onto a central server, and
stream to these devices.

Slimdevices started putting digital outs in the squeezeboxes, so I have
my squeezebox hooked to my receiver via an optical toslink cable, and it
sounds great. In addition to having a squeezebox in our home theater
downstairs and the slimp3 upstairs in our living room, I run the java-
based softsqueeze on my computer. Softsqueeze uses the same protocols
and has an interface that looks just like a Squeezebox. I have the
option to synchronize the audio to any of the 3.

The developers are active on the mailing lists, and they're always
improving the server software (which is open source, as the above-poster
said).

They just released a new version of the squeezebox, the squeezebox2,
which does flac decoding in hardware and has other upgraded components.
The wireless squeezebox2 can be used as an 802.11g wireless bridge.

Oh yeah, and I play regular mp3's and oggs, too. And they're great for
getting internet radio broadcasts.

Cool stuff.

j.joseph