[clue-talk] connect to internet provided

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Mar 31 11:32:00 MST 2005

Walter Hildebrandt wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:58:50 -0700
>> Walter Hildebrandt wrote:
>>

>>> I have Suse 9.2 on the computer.  How do I connect to my Internet
>>> provider.
>>>

>> What sort of internet service do you have? Cable? DSL? Dialup?
>>
>> jed
>>

> cable

I have cable also.  For me, I had to set up my account with Windows
using the software that Comcast provided.  But after that, Linux would
connect automatically via the ethernet connection to the cable modem.
If you're already set up for cable access (activated account), but your
network interface isn't set up, just do this:

(1) Find your networking scripts.  e.g. on Red Hat type systems they're
under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

(2) Modify or create a file called ifcfg-eth0 to make it look something
like this:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

(3) Reboot or issue the command /sbin/ifup eth0 to start your connection

I don't know if there are any more necessary steps, but you can let us
know if you have any problems after that.

Angelo