[clue-talk] connect to internet provided

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Mar 31 14:09:30 MST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:28:21 -0700
Walter Hildebrandt wrote:

> The Suse
> has the cable connected to the Router.  I could not find the networking
> script.  I know nothing about Linux.  I got Suse installed at the last
> Installfest.  I am just now starting to use the computer.  Once
> connected, I want to install Firefox and Thunderbird.

First off, you need to know the password for the root user.

To get to the menus, click on the chameleon -- this is like the "start"
button on windoze.

I haven't looked at SuSe's menus for a while. You need to find a menu item
that says "system configuration", or "configure system", or something like
that. It will run a program called Yast, which stands for "Yet Another
System Tool". If you can't find it in the menus, then open a terminal and
type 'yast' at the command line.

Once you have Yast running, look for "system administration" in the menu
tree on the left. Expand that item, and look for networking. You might
need to expand one or two more menu items. When you click on items which
are configurable, as opposed to being just folders for more menu items,
you'll see a config screen on the right-hand side. Look for check boxes,
etc., which will configure your ethernet card. What you want to do is
enable DHCP.

At some point in this process, you'll need to enter the root password,
unless you log in as root to start with. If you're logged in as a "normal"
user, then Yast should prompt you for the root password when you click on
a configuration item which requires root privileges.

Or, if you run Yast from the command line (i.e. after opening a terminal),
you can become root before running Yast. You do this by typing 'su -' at
the command prompt, and then entering the root password. Alternatively, in
the menus, there's an entry for a "superuser" terminal.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E