[clue-talk] [ANN] Bantam: a lightweight file manager for X11

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon May 2 23:06:15 MDT 2005

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Matt Gushee wrote:
>
>>Ugh. I hope not. I did search for other software projects named Bantam,
>>and didn't find any. Didn't occur to me to worry about publishers.
>
> I'd forgotten about Bantam Publishing.
>
> So, you gonna have a rooster wearing boxing gloves for your project logo?

Thumb my nose at The Man, huh? Maybe if I were 25 and single I'd do
something like that. Let's just say, if I get a cease-and-desist letter
I'll consider my options. I'm prepared to put some energy into defending
my right to use the name, but not to be a martyr.

> BTW, I was just giving it a quick whirl last night, scrolling down a
> directory list and hitting "v" to look at stuff in the view pane, and it
> hung for a bit. Came back. It would refresh it's own window, just not
> respond to the v, up/down arrows, or mouse wheel or vertical scrollbar to
> scroll the directory pane.

Can you explain this more precisely--maybe off-list?

> I just tried "bantam --debug", but it doesn't
> produce any extra stuff to sdtout/err. Is there a debug setting?

Not at the moment. I suppose it's a good idea, but I'm not sure how to
make it produce useful output. I've run into this general kind of thing
before, and I think that something in the event handling mechanism is
causing errors in the Tcl interpreter (this is one reason I'd like to
get away from Tk--it's kinda perverse to create an application in a fast
compiled language that uses a command interpreter to build the GUI--and
it makes error handling a nightmare). But I'll see if there's a
reasonable way to handle those errors.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA