[clue-talk] Learning motivations of IT pros

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:07:24 MST 2005

<stop looking at slashdot>

* I love systems - of any kind - will learn about cool ones just for fun.
* I especially like free software - and will go out of my way to learn about it.
* Job Security - coupled with what I think is worthwhile (intuition?)
* Is cool travel involved?
* Where _is_ Andrea's picture?

<back to slashdot>

On 11/9/05, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> Beesley, Andrea D. wrote:
>
> > Hi, a Ph.D. student at the University of Oklahoma, now living and
> > working in Denver.  My research interest is finding out what types of
> > goals best motivate people who work in IT to keep learning new
> > information and developing their skills.  Companies might make
> > assumptions about what motivates employees, but employees often bring
> > with them their own sets of goals, which may differ.
> >
> > In my research so far I have found Linux users to be particulary
> > reflective and motivated about their technology learning, so I thought
> > I would ask members of this list to participate.  If you're an IT
> > professional, please consider responding to my brief, anonymous online
> > survey: http://www.occe.ou.edu/tech_expertise/
> >
> > I will be happy to share the results of the study also.
> >
> > Thanks for considering my request!
> >
> > Andrea Beesley
> >
> So I IM-spammed a few friends with this, thinking they might go help
> out... and responses ranged from:
>
> "Where's her photo?"
>
> To...
>
> "This will take away from my ThinkGeek shopping time."
>
> -----
>
> I really need to find some less sarcastic friends.  :-)
>
> I tried Andrea, really I did.  LOL!
>
> Nate

aloha,
dave