[clue-talk] Bash scripting question

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Wed Nov 30 09:13:11 MST 2005

I'd like to set up cron jobs to mail myself reminders. I know there are
services out there that will do something similar, but I think that's sorta
dumb.

I wanted to write a script that takes a bit of text as input, and puts that
in the subject and the body. I can use ssmtp like so:

ssmtp -f me at me.com me at me.com me2 at me.com < msg

Here's where I run into the problem: Can any bash/sh gurus tell me how I can
I construct the message without writing to external file? The stream of msg
needs to look like this:

Subject: $1
$1

Thanks,

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
We seem to be going through a period of nostalgia, and everyone seems to think
yesterday was better than today. I don't think it was, and I would advise you
not to wait ten years before admitting today was great. If you're hung up on
nostalgia, pretend today is yesterday and just go out and have one hell of a
time.
-Art Buchwald