[clue-talk] FEMA blacklists Linux & Mac Users from hurricane website ?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 8 13:03:56 MDT 2005

John Kennedy wrote:

>For your info..
>
>FEMA is only allowing users of the Microsoft Internet
>Explorer browser to apply for hurricane relief funds.
>"The now very much criticised US Federal Emergency
>Management Agency (FEMA) has stopped Mac and Linux
>victims of hurricane Katrina from applying for relief.
>The agency, which is already in hot water for its
>lack-lustre rescue efforts in New Orleans, has created
>a web-based service that only works for users of
>Windows and IE6." There is a work-around for Firefox
>users
>
>see...
>
>http://lwn.net/Articles/150834/
>
>John Kennedy

With the new rules regarding Federal agencies building their sites with
Accessibility for disabled folks, are they in violation of that law by
picking and choosing browser type?

Just wondering.  I hate it that a government agency had to be forced to
do the right thing (create accessible sites) with a law, but if that law
can also have the side-effect that they can't arbitrarily block certain
browsers and must use reasonable standards instead of using the browser
itself as a standard... I'm all for it.

Wonder if the EFF has talked to them yet, too.

Nate