[clue-talk] Linux project for Katrina victims

mike mikeb at wispertel.net
Fri Sep 9 13:32:08 MDT 2005

>  www.PublicWebStations.com
>
> PublicWebStations is a Linux-based project we started one week ago
> that is helping to provide Internet access in disaster relief
> shelters. The website gives instructions for downloading versions of
> Linux that will run on easy-to-obtain used computer equipment and
> provide internet access to the hurricane victims and to aid workers.
> There is also a volunteer discussion forum organizing help in many
> geographical areas.
>
> The project has been covered by CBS, Newsforge, TechRepublic,
> arstechnica, ABCnews.com, Linux-Watch, LinuxWorld Magazine,
> DigitalTippingPoint, Technocrat.net, eWeek, Slashdot, MadPenguin,
> InfoWorld, DesktopLinux, and LinuxDevices.com.
>
> Tomorrow we are starting a website called www.TechVolunteers.com to
> augment our efforts at providing technical support to the relief and
> aid shelters, which are now appearing all over the US as storm victims
> are being bused nationwide. We are hoping that your publicizing both
> of these project among your membership will increase participation and
> awareness. Please encourage them to forward information by email
> through any other appropriate channels.
>
> www.PublicWebStations.com
>
> www.TechVolunteers.com (starting late tomorrow)
>
> Thank you so much,
> Steve Hargadon
> email: steve at hargadon.com
> phone: 916-899-1400
> web: http://www.PublicWebStations.com
Thanks For links Jeff
One technical issue has come to light.  The victims of Katrina can not
fillout the forms using Firefox or Open Source Software.  The FEMA
site will only work with IE.  This is a large problem since most of the
volunteer computer sites are using Open source Software.  We need
to make the federal government aware that the site needs to be
compliant with all browsers.  I have volunteered to work with FEMA
to go down to Louisiana.  I will know in a day or two when I or if I will
be shipped out.

-mike