[clue-talk] Hello CLUE

T. Joseph Carter tjcarter at bluecherry.net
Tue Aug 1 01:10:02 MDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:01:51PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> >I've spent very little time with Xubuntu -- I don't know if there are
> >any quality problems per se, but they've configured it to look like,
> >well, GNOME, in Xubuntu, which weirds me out a bit.
>
> As a long time XFCE user, I can only say that the GNOME-lite rendition
> of XFCE in Xubuntu just plain sucks.

OTOH, XFCE in Ubuntu pretty easily allows you to swap xfwm4 for wmaker,
which restores a particular "crack rock" feature Havoc simply refused to
implement in Metacity which I consider absolutely essential--I have a
million windows on screen, piled on top of eachother, most of them with
titles like "tjcarter at miya:~" or something like that.  Telling me the
window title and drawing a black box around the window border is NOT going
to help me switch windows.  As I am switching, I need to see the window.
This is a standard feature of every modern window manager except Metacity
and xfwm4.

Metacity lacks this feature because Havoc says you don't need it.  xfwm4
lacks the feature apparently because the XFCE people have GNOME envy.  ;)

So I take wmaker, disable the particularly NeXTy things I don't need like
the Dock, and use the XFCE panel set to basically emulate my Mac's dock,
including its autohide.