[clue-talk] Hello CLUE

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sat Aug 5 23:20:52 MDT 2006

T. Joseph Carter wrote:

>> Pinnacle was built before the light rail was added.
>>
>> The trouble with light rail is that they think that everyone wants to go
>> downtown.  I would like it to wrap around the city too.
>
> The trouble with it really seems to be that they figure everyone is coming
> from Littleton and wants to go downtown.

Undoubtedly the RTD planners are imperfect human beings, and politics
plays a role in their decisions ... yet if they're anything like most
transportation planners, the routes and schedules probably have some
basis in actual travel patterns and the demographics of the areas they
serve. And if you take any city with an identifiable downtown, there are
going to be more people traveling between downtown and any outlying area
than between two outlying areas. That's just a fact of urban geography,
and it's one of the major reasons why downtown *is* downtown.

The real problem is that our cities--especially in the western US--are
designed for cars. Considering how spread out Denver is, I think the
public transit here is quite good. Compare it to, say, Phoenix, or any
place in Texas.

P.S.: Joseph, I also live kind of on your side of town (though maybe a
       bit farther than some people) and would be glad to give you a lift
       if need be.

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :