[clue-talk] Hello CLUE psi* light rail

Gus S Calabrese gsc at omegadogs.com
Mon Aug 7 21:15:14 MDT 2006

On 2006-Aug 07, at 20:50hrs PM, Collins Richey wrote:

On 8/7/06, Matt Gushee <matt at gushee.net> wrote:
> Nate Duehr wrote:

> > I believe RTD publishes per-capita numbers in their annual
> report.  I
> > believe when I went looking for it, it was on their website.
> >
> > The total number of riders on RTD's entire system the last time I
> looked
> > was in single-digit percentages of the Metro area's population.
>
> That's no surprise. The numbers probably only get higher than that
> in a
> handful of well-known cities (New York, Boston, San Francisco,
> Philadelphia, maybe Chicago, ...). But I wanted to see if Collins had
> some actual data behind that remark, or if he was just manifesting his
> ideology ;-)

Nope, I pulled that swag out of the usual dark place. OTOH, 1% is not
too far off if the actual number is single digits. And, BTW, I doubt
that you orI have ever met anyone without an ideology.

The essence of my remark remains. The system benefits only a
relatively tiny portion of the taxpaying populace, and it probably
only improves traffic on the routes it parallels (major freeways). If
I lived and worked along the lightrail, I might choose to use the
service. The fact remains that we can't possibly budget enough money
to provide that type of service to very many areas.

^ Light rail delivers much less per construction dollar for people
miles provided,
when compared to highways.  And when you consider the pathetic design
of highways,
the actual multiplier between personal individual vehicles (PIV) and
mass transit reaches about 20:1.
( highways are designed ultra-poorly because of politics )
Once the hydrogen infra.structure takes off,  mass transit will
become even more pathetic.
Watch the posturing when it is discovered that PIV has almost zero
contribution to pollution.  The folks who hate cars "just because"
will have to scramble to
come up with a new reason why everyone should troop into a public
transit cattle carrier.
Maybe they can start serving booze on mass transit to deaden the pain.
AGSC ^

--
Collins Richey

Gus S Calabrese
Denver, CO
720 222 1309     303 908 7716 cell
Please include and do not limit yourself to "spam2006". I allow
everything with  "spam2006"  in the subject or text to pass my spam
filters.