[clue-talk] Stupid OCaml tricks

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Aug 14 23:55:57 MDT 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 8:58 PM, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Dennis J Perkins wrote:
>
>>> During my presentation last week, Dennis asked something along
>>> the lines of "what makes OCaml a better language for you?" Can't
>>> recall the exact words, but I believe that was the gist of it. I
>>> don't think I answered the question very well, so let me give
>>> y'all an example that might give you a better idea.
>> My question was, "How does OCaml make something complex simple?"
>> Maybe a better question is how does it simplify somthing that is
>> hard to
>> do in other languages?
>
> Oh, yeah, I remember that now. It's a good question, and there's
> probably a good answer to it, but ... I don't know. I can't think
> about it anymore just now. And whatever I say, somebody will
> probably point out how wrong I am ... getting harder and harder to
> believe I am right about anything, so I think I'll just shut the
> fuck up and go die somewhere.
>
> Sorry, I know you're sincerely interested and deserve a good
> answer. I am just fucked up and everything I try to do just makes
> it worse.

Whoa!  Matt... that was definitely not the impression I was
attempting to give you at all!!!  I just enjoy the discussions about
how languages and "technology advancements" do or don't really make
the overall big picture better or worse... but in NO way was I
bashing on OCaml or your comments about it!

I was just taking the discussion to "somewhere different" to see if
anyone else had some interesting thoughts about it.

After 24 years of using computers, (oh lord... has it been that
long?) they're really not doing anything "new" since about year 5 of
that 24.  They're (sometimes) doing it faster, and certainly more
"pretty"... but not "different".

I keep looking around for the next "big thing" and I just don't see
it coming -- it'll be there sooner or later, but I'm trying to not be
surprised about it.  :-)

The advent of Linux was cool, and I've invested a lot of time and
effort into learning it and it made a great stepping stone into a
Unix career by some stroke of dumb luck (and I was "saved" from
dealing with Windows desktops in the business world for almost all of
my career!) but Linux hasn't really panned out to be as "great" as a
lot of us zealouts (me included) thought it was going to be.  I love
Linux, but it's gotten quite bloated and disorganized on the desktop
stuff.  Servers... it's got it nailed... but desktop?  The problems
with proprietary hardware have only been kinda "half-solved" over all
these years... which seems retarded to me to some extent... and sad.

But seriously Matt -- NOTHING I said was meant to be personal or
negative about what you're doing, or the OCaml discussion!  OCaml is
actually neat technology -- I just wonder in general about all these
languages... being a sysadmin I really haven't found ANY application
on the server side that I couldn't do in a shell or in Perl... and
it's been that way for something like 10 years now.

Python looks neat... played with it a bit... okay, whitespace zealots
and haters aside, it had some interesting new ideas... various shells
have been messed with over the years... and some C and C++ (I
actually had a C++ coding job for three months... yuck... luckily I
learned quickly that coding in C++ was not my lifelong cup of tea...
and probably others.. (Should I admit I used a lot of BASIC years
ago, and it's still useful to have a BASIC compiler for
microcontrollers today?  And of course, SQL in various flavors and
different databases maintained and used...

But...

After all that... 95% of the "stuff" that really makes companies
money boil down to things Perl does well... pulling data from text
files, or a database, stuff them into arrays, do some manipulation,
and stuffing it all back into a database... the faster the better...
that stuff makes the serious behind-the-scenes real money in the IT
world... or so it seems from a Unix system admin's perspective.

So I get kinda jaded about "the latest and greatest language"
stuff... even if the language is as old as OCaml.  I respect that
it's been around a long time... but so has REXX and I've coded in
REXX once or twice for real work (god save me, I had to admin OS/2
boxes with Sybase SQL Anywhere databases on them once!) and it was
kinda "just another language".

So seriously Matt -- you didn't say or do ANYTHING wrong.  And
nothing wrong with OCaml, etc... don't take any of the comments I've
made personally.  I think I'm bored with certain things in Unix right
now.  Maybe it's time I learn to really code some stuff in a GUI.  I
can DEFINITELY say you're WAY ahead of me there.  I'm kinda at a fork
in the road... I've been enjoying programming and building little
hardware projects on microcontrollers, and I have to decide if I like
that enough to start playing with more low-level stuff like DSP's or
FPGA's... or if I should go play with some of the GUI toolkits and
find out just how hard making nice GUI code is.  :-)

So... maybe that's the real point of all my ranting here... plus that
I love to talk about tech futures... "What's next?" for all this
stuff?  GUI's?  Automation?  Making software simpler?  Making
software work out of the gate?  (That's a completely different
rant... software companies are actually NOT trying to release great
software... their incentive is to SHIP code... even all the way down
to how most software engineers get paid.  I once thought "open
source" was the answer, but the reality seems to be that when someone
releases some GREAT code in the open-source world, they get gobbled
into a Corporation or start their own, and their contributions taper
off.  Sure, there's a number of kernel hackers that are paid, but the
end-user software guys don't get to stay in open-source for long...
you see them in their college years, and maybe a few years after, and
then they switch to maintenance mode on their code and nothing new
comes out after a while... so I'm not convinced that the ultimate
goal of open-source is to ever get truly "great" software, but
sometimes it happens... Apache is a nice example of something
generally going really "right", I suppose.

Well anyway, sorry to rant... I should probably blog some of this
stuff instead of trying to tag it onto a useful discussion about the
nitty gritty of OCaml or any other technology... sorry if that came
out wrong, Matt!

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com