[clue-talk] - - - anybody know anything about these guys . . . ?

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 14:40:03 MDT 2006

given the margins for computer parts this company may
or may not use the cheapest they can find.  You'll
notice that they don't list any brands (besides intel)
for the components when you try customizing the
system.

what I was implying was that there's nothing special
about their PCs.  you can simply buy the case or a
barebones machine from say Newegg and control the
price-quality equation yourself by buying your own
components and assembling it yourself.  Of course if
you don't get enjoyment from doing this, then you're
better off saving the time and configuration headaches
and buying a complete system off the shelf.  When you
buy from someone else, you give up control and pass on
accountability.

level of support tends to be proportional to size of
the company while quality is often inversely
proportional---one-man outfit vs overseas CS farm.  Of
course the real factor is what emphasis does the
person running the show put on service.  That's the
real factor determining quality of service regardless
of the company's size.

if you're willing to pay the premium you might as well
buy a Mac.  The premium is really just an illusion
because you're buying a package, not just a PC.  You
get bundled software and bundled support which you
can't opt out of (like say with Dell where those items
are up-sells).  Also Apple has the highest rated
customer service in the industry and the highest
quality satisfaction (according to Consumer Reports).
However, you don't get that without a price.  Macs
tend to be about 6 to 12 months behind in hardware
technology and depending on the model there's little
you can upgrade beyond memory and hard drives.  As is
typical with most Apple products, there's very little
that is user-serviceable.  With Apple, you're not
buying a piece of hardware, you're buying an
experience (and more or less into a philosophy).

If you're a (hard-core) gamer and/or you're on a
semi-frequent upgrade cycle you might as well build
your own.  If you want painless configuration using
the latest tech go with a Dell or system76.com or
other similar outfit.  If you want painless and even
fun general computing, go with Apple.  If you want to
be fashionable there's again Apple, Alienware, and the
like.  We've reached the point in hardware tech where
unless you have a really demanding application
(scientific computing, graphic rendering, gaming,
arguably compiling, etc.) you don't need the latest
and greatest to get work and play done.  Heck, thanks
to Linux I have a P-100 that's more responsive with
Vector Linux than it ever was with Win95.  It makes
for a good box to surf the web.  Heck I know there's a
desktop distro being maintained for 486s
http://www.delilinux.de/ and of course there's always
Damn Small Linux.

So getting more specific about your question, except
for the speed metric, there's very little you can get
from their web site and it's more a qualitative
intuition based on generic specs than an actual
benchmark because you don't know the brand and models
of the parts that they put into the system.  Which
means you don't know what the quality or reliability
is.  And as for support, it's hard to guage from a web
site.  They do seem to be more internet oriented which
is smart, having a knowledge base, forum, and ticket
submission form.  They also have a phone number.  Even
better for us, they're located here in Denver so if
you have a problem, you could always make an
appointment.  Maybe we should invite them to give a
talk at a CLUE meeting and demonstrate their product
offerings. Hint, hint. :)

So should the newness and lack of specific info make
you wary? No. At the same time, just use common sense
and do your homework when dealing with any (internet)
company.  And if you have questions, better to contact
the company to get answers from the source instead of
a third party who may only be able to offer subjective
conjecture, as informative and long-winded as it may
be. :)

Brian