[clue-talk] Semi portable, Wireless access from an ISP

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Aug 31 02:38:21 MDT 2006

rex evans wrote:
> I am not talking about using the
> wireless at a library, or cafe;
> though these seem quite useful.
>
> I am not sure that I am using the
> right key words. "Semi Portable"
> means different parts of the metro
> area, but not "on the move". Some
> small antenna is expected.
>
> Does an ISP of some kind offer this?
>
> Have any of you used this kind of service?
>
> Linux friendly, or MS friendly?
>
> rex

Yeah, they're known as "my neighbors".

LOL.  :-)

Seriously -- I completely understand if you don't want to "go there",
but I CAN NOT FIND a neighborhood where high-speed Comcast or Qwest
isn't sitting there on an open access point for the taking.

With the right tools, you could both completely anonymize your access
(change your MAC address, shut down ALL identifying services and open
ports on your laptop), and encrypt all your traffic via proxies, or
whatever...

Myself, I'm just dumb/lazy/scared enough to NOT do this, and have a
low-speed cellular add-on plan from T-Mobile at $15/month (grandfathered
price, I think they're at $19 now - existing service, and an
EDGE-capable phone required that also "tethers" nicely... the phones
that can do this change a lot... regularly, so no point in trying too
hard to figure it out unless you go that route...) that let's me use my
phone as a "medium speed" "go anywhere" connection.  In fact, it works
nationwide in T-mobile coverage areas... at varying speeds.  But it
doesn't take much bandwidth for an ssh connection to one of my boxes on
my home DSL, or to a co-located server if you go that route (which would
be even cheaper).  Another nice aspect of T-mobile or Cingular is that
since they're GSM carriers... phones are activated by SIM card.  If I
want to change hardware, I do.  And I have a Sony data card that plays
nicely under Linux and Windows, not so good for the Mac without a PCMCIA
slot.  :-)

But seriously... there's four open access points within reach of my BACK
  PORCH.  If I did the above and rate-limited my connection, they'd
never know I was "there", and I could rotate between them for more
entropy, seriously.

Nate