[clue-talk] WinXP Dual Boot?

Richard C. Savage 71OEsAV71 at estreet.com
Sat Jan 7 17:39:02 MST 2006

I've previously installed various flavors of Linux (Fedora 2, RH 8, 9,
6) on older machines that had VFAT hard drives.

However,  my newer machines came with WinXP installed, with an 80GB NTFS
file system. The (old) fips utility I had for partitioning a hard drive
doesn't work on NTFS. Descriptions on the web say Mandrake Linux 9.1 and
later come with an included utility (called NTFS), as part of the
installation routine, that allows non-destructive partitioning of a NTFS
WinXP HDD.

Anbody out there had experience with using Mandrake (or anything else)
to partition a WinXP NTFS drive?
Any experience with running Mandrake? If I use Mandrake to partition, it
seems reasonable to install it - unless it's grossly inferior to, say,
Fedora 2. I presume they offer a dual-boot configuration, with either
LILO or GRUB - either is acceptable to me.

I'm just running desktop personal configurations, not an enterprise
outfit, but I'm glad to learn new stuff. Your suggestions gratefully
accepted. Thanx.

Dick Savage
Franktown, CO