[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Jan 9 13:39:53 MST 2006

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Take a read:
>
> http://www.mcpmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=539
>
> But they forget the "after the sale" perspective of FOSS: you own it
> and  don't have to call in ONLY MS to make improvements!!
>
> What say all you Linux types?

*shrug*  I don't see how Microsoft is cheaper.  I don't think it's any
cheaper to hire a Windows admin than it is to hire a Linux admin, in
general.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem to me that in the long run,
the real cost advantages come with flexibility.  You can switch distros,
upgrade software, get security patches, write your own software, etc.
at a lower cost than you could with Windows.  It could depend on what
you're using the OS for:  desktops in the office or servers.

I definitely think Linux empowers people to start their own companies
easier if they take the time to learn.  It replaces required capital
with knowledge.