[clue-talk] Re: Linux auto-install DB and other stuff

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 20:17:11 MST 2006

On 1/22/06, Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/20/06, rex evans <rexfordevans at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > For experimentation with Open Source
> > packages, MS Windows is not practical;
> > that is why I am thinking Linux and
> > (recently) Mac.
>
> As various migration projects around the world have shown, you can
> start going "open source" on the "upper layers" of the user
> environment and then once you get used to those "top layers" the
> switch of the rest of the system is not as hard.
>
> In less abstract terms, try out Cygwin (and it's myriad packages),
> OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird, the software in the OpenCD
> project etc. and you can get a really good "open" experience on top of
> your Windows system.  Then, the transition to a Linux/BSD operating
> system is easier.

Yeah. I'm not sure where Rex came up with the concept that OpenSource
packages are not practical on Windows. OpenOffice.org, Firefox,
Thunderbird, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc. are all quite usable on Windows.
You don't have to go whole hog and put up Linux to get familiar with
these.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write