[clue-talk] Re: Linux auto-install DB and other stuff

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Tue Jan 24 15:53:12 MST 2006

Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> On 01-24 15:16, Matt Gushee wrote:
>
>> Another problem is that in order to *use* an application developed with
>> Cygwin, you have to have Cygwin installed. So if you are trying to develop
>> applications that non-technical people can easily install and use, Cygwin
>> is not an option.
>
> A small quibble. In gcc under Cygwin, there is the -mno-cygwin option which
> lets you create binaries that run in Windows natively.

Good point, and I think I've actually heard of that before. So maybe
what I said is not true for C applications. I was actually thinking more
in terms of OCaml, which is my main language. For some reason when you
compile an OCaml application under Cygwin the user also needs to have
Cygwin. I've been meaning to learn more about how to work with OCaml on
Windows, but since there's no  pressing need to do it, I haven't gotten
around to it.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/