[clue-talk] Assessing technical skills?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 18:14:20 MDT 2006

On 7/20/06, erik at ezolan.com <erik at ezolan.com> wrote:

> Offhand, it sounds like you're looking for "Computer operators". Monitor,
> diagnose, fix according to procedure or call the calvary.

We have operators, but my team is really engineering.  We work with
development teams to architect and specify their system requirements.
After the apps go into production, then we are the 'back-line'
support.

We also do scripting, and actual development for low-value web sites
[like internal documentation, wikis, etc.

Jeff

> What kind of Internship program do you have? As you said, job requirements
> don't really cover what you need. Interns are cheap, and as long as you
> don't have them taking over a shift, low-risk. That way you build up a
> slew of contacts, and their time working with you is the ultimate resume.

We don't have an intern program, but we should start one.

> What's the work environment like? One of the worst Computer Operator jobs
> I've had, had me utilized 100% for the first 8 hours of the 12 hour shift,
> 1 deep. By the 8 hour mark I was so burnt out that doing any R&D to make
> my job better, or increase my understanding of it was out of the question.
> (I get a little schadenfreude that they have to try and lure people in
> from out of state to do that job now.)
>
> Other than that, my only other suggestion would be to use contractors to
> test people out before you hire them. Which it looks like you're already
> doing.

Thanks for the comments.
Jeff