[clue-talk] Assessing technical skills?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Jul 21 13:00:32 MDT 2006

rex evans wrote:

> An experienced Lead IT guy will often
> forget how many facts he really knows
> about a system, and how this allows him
> to trouble shoot a problem. A newbie's
> head is spinning because of so many
> unknowns, he does not even know where
> to probe the system.

If proper documentation is required by management and being written,
this shouldn't be a problem.  Rarely do organizations do any real
serious effort to really document what their admins do, however.

And admins have a natural tendency not to want to anyway -- economics.
If they document it, anyone could do it.  Good ones document anyway, and
learn new skills.

> Bottom line: do some of each
> 1)Get better trouble shooting tools
> 2)Get better trouble shooting training

Charge the Engineering group for the development and hours spent writing
tools to find THEIR bugs.  (Another uncommon approach, but ultimately
follows my personal rule, if you can't hold someone MONETARILY
responsible, things don't get that much better, long-term.  The same
bugs come up, the same problems, and no matter what methodology you're
using, if you bonus design engineers on releases and not on bug-free
software, you get lots and lots of software, but also lots and lots of
bugs.)  To put it more bluntly, there needs to be a carrot AND a
stick... and rarely do you see a stick (bad engineer, no donut!) in
software development shops.  Of course, it's rare to find managers who
came up through the ranks and have any REAL idea of what it's like to do
the job anyway, so they coddle engineers to keep them "happy".  Good
engineers are "happiest" when their stuff hits the real-world and
doesn't break.  But there's rarely, if ever, monetary consequences for a
multi-year, continuous pattern of "slightly broken" code.  The world is
convinced that bug-free code is unattainable, which is sad.

> 3)Get better applicant screening but
> do not go overboard.

The "What kind of cheese" one someone posted seemed pretty overboard to
me.  When is IT/Software Engineering going to grow up and act like all
the other Engineering disciplines with real knowledge and aptitude
requirements that can easily be tested?

You wouldn't ask you Chief Engineer you're hiring to put up a skyscraper
this silly question.  You'd want to see his dossier of serious
engineering achievements.  You'd want to know how he worked his way up
from a lowly civil engineer to the Chief job he has today.  You'd want
real facts about his abilities.  Not fluff about what type of cheese
he'd be.

Even the lowest PE certified Engineer on the totem pole you KNOW knows
certain State mandated knowledge.  This sort of discipline is sorely
lacking in IT/Computer/Software "engineering".

Maybe another good example would be:  You're dying of a deadly disease
and only three Doctors in the world are able to work on you to fix it,
and you have to choose which one.  You going to ask what kind of cheese
they'd like to be?

> 4)Let them know what you expect:
>   day to day work + toos improvement
>   (tools improvement increases moral)

Just normal management skills.

> 5)Do not burn them out.

Can you be more specific?  How do you know when they're headed there?

The next time I do an online transaction with a bank, I sure hope the
coder hired for the job was asked better questions than what kind of
cheese they'd be!

Seriously folks -- what is UP with Computer Engineering still being so
un-professional?  Any thoughts as to what the major brain-damage is at
the highest levels where levels of knowledge like other Engineering
disciplines are tested on by the State, are not expected or required?
Can you think of any transaction that involves real money that doesn't
touch numerous computers nowadays, but we have "Building Codes" to build
buildings by, but only "Best Practices" to build computer systems by?

Sorry - just up on my soapbox.  Nothing personal meant by any comments
above, especially the Cheese stuff.  It's just a wonderment to me any
computer system works right with the lack of standards, and generally
tested knowledge bases that all "engineers" should know.

Nate