[clue-talk] Hello CLUE

T. Joseph Carter tjcarter at bluecherry.net
Sun Jul 30 18:55:58 MDT 2006

Hi, my name is Joseph, and I'm a UNIXaholic.

I just got into Littleton about a month ago now, and finally decided to
find some clueful people.  It would seem that I have found CLUEful people,
which also works fine.  =)

Let's see, I've been using Linux since about 1997, was a Debian developer
until I escaped sometime in 2002 (much to the restoration of my sanity),
followed by a brief stint using a heavily modified LFS and then an almost
unrecognizable Gentoo (aside from emerge).

For a long time I considered myself a professional code monkey, until I
was whacked with a cluestick a few times and realized that my present
occupation wasn't very fulfilling.  I ended up back in school, and I
bought a Mac because it was a UNIX box I didn't have to futz with too much
to get my schoolwork done.  I've since discovered Ubuntu, which apparently
is an ancient African word that means "can't install Debian on modern
hardware".  It's a little weak as a server, but that's fixable if you know
how to use make.

My current Linux efforts are related to MythTV.  I have beaten KnoppMyth
into submission with 2.6.17.7 and the latest ivtv drivers, which makes my
WinTV-PVR 500MCE almost work right.  When new hardware arrives, I'll move
the whole shebang to Ubuntu.  I am presently rewriting the ati_remote
driver for my SnapStream Firefly RF/USB remote and watching for fixes to
my '500's Samsung tuners.  My long-term goal with MythTV is to add support
to it for text-to-speech system so that once it's configured, a totally
blind person can use Myth.  Compared to getting this Samsung tuner to pick
up channels 54, 55, and 56 properly, TTS in MythTV will be a piece of
cake.

...you can tell I'm still a nerd by the fact that I totally got distracted
and never mentioned that I studying to be a teacher.  The world doesn't
need another moderately skilled programmer, but it sure is desperate for
good teachers.  The pay is generally pathetic, and the hours are only a
little shorter than those of a programmer, but the work is more important.