[clue-talk] Linux Desktop reliable ?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 19:48:23 MDT 2006

On 7/31/06, rex evans <rexfordevans at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was aware that Linux had lost ground for desktop popularity,  but recent posts
> (subject:Hello)  cast doubt on the reliability for desktops.
>
> It gets worse for a user who prefers a laptop as the desktop.
>
> Are there reliable distros? Is this only a problem related to Debian and derivatives?

Too many non-specific generalities in your question.

1. I wasn't aware that Linux had ever gained ground for desktop
popularity. Shure, there have been a number of governmental and
private entities that have switched over, but Linux on the desktop is
still a thing of the future (flame suit on).

2. Linux has always been reliable on the desktop. We have hundreds of
users on ancient RH9 systems (at least 5 years behind the mainstream),
and their systems run error free for months at the time. Contrast that
with our new RHEL4 HP units with a POS ATI video card that may lock up
any time due to the crappy ATI code.

3. Laptops have very unique, poorly defined hardware, so it can be a
challenge to get Linux fully functional (most esp. wireless), but once
you get over the install woes, they are no less reliable than the
desktops.

4. Almost without exception, the stable versions of major distros are
equally reliable. I don't know where you came up with the crazy idea
that Debian and derivatives are not reliable. Maybe you are referring
to Debian unstable. That's a pure development project, and you
wouldn't bet the farm or Aunt Mable's checking account on it.

There is no perfect distro. I like Gentoo and Ubuntu and Debian
Testing . Others swear by Red Hat, CentOS or SuSE or even Arch Linux
(to include a lesser known distro). For non-techies, I've even heard
good things about Linspire.

You pays you money (none in my case) and you takes you chances. Linux
is not like the vendor from the dark side; you have to put some effort
into it. Pick (a) distro (or more) and try it/them out.

If you have more specific questions, please get back with us, but we
don't need FUD.

Enjoy,

--
Collins Richey