[clue-talk] Revisiting News Aggregators

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Mar 4 15:16:28 MST 2006

Yeah, I know, Zonker asked about this a while back. Well, since it's
starting to look as if it's time to dump Amphetadesk, I figured I'd bring
it up again.

I like Amphetadesk because its output is an HTML page I bring up in my
browser, and that seems to me to be as good as integration gets for how I
use it -- i.e. pulling in feeds to see whether I want to read the whole
thing (and so I prefer "summary" type feeds, as opposed to "reproduce the
whole thing" feeds). But it's getting long in the tooth, doesn't support
Atom, and it doesn't look as if it's being maintained any longer.

So I'm going to look around a bit. I've found some directories of RSS/Atom
aggregators, and I'm soliticing input from CLUEbies regarding what works
well or doesn't.

AFAICT, Bloglines and Yahoo are the 2 big "personal feed" web-based
aggregators; there are a bunch of these. There's plugins, and packages
which require "web server installation". Here's a couple directories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_news_aggregators
http://directory.google.com/Top/Reference/Libraries/Library_and_Information_Science/Technical_Services/Cataloguing/Metadata/RDF/Applications/RSS/News_Readers/

My preference would be something I run locally, which produces HTML output
I can just load into my web browser. I think my 2nd choice would be a
completely web-based service such as Bloglines. Of course, Google has an
aggregator too. No Java. I generally don't use Firefox, so that isn't my
top choice either, but it might become so, since Galeon (my choice for web
broswer) isn't being developed further.

So, Zonker, did you ever do that Linux Mag review article?

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E