[clue-talk] From SANS - Colorado Information Security Officer

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 12 13:06:38 MDT 2006

Yay, our State takes information security seriously!

Nate

-----

--New Colorado Law Gives Teeth To State CISO
[From Mark Weatherford, CISO for the State of Colorado and NewsBites
editorial board member]
The Colorado State legislature has passed HB06-1157 "Concerning the
Security of Communication and Information Resources in Public Agencies"
with Senate Amendments; it now goes to Governor Owens for signature.
This model legislation provides for the formal appointment by the
Governor of a Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) and outlines
specific duties and responsibilities of the CISO.  It also outlines the
responsibilities of Colorado public agencies to develop an information
security plan in accordance with CISO guidance.  Most importantly, it
provides a specific timeline for implementation and also gives the CISO
authority to enforce the information security program.  This legislation
will have a profound effect on our ability to secure the information
system resources in Colorado state government.  This is not the
cleaned-up version the Governor will be signing.
http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics2006a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/1AC9702BE67DC94487257068005112E5?open&file=1157_ren.pdf