[clue-talk] DIY laptop

Dennis J Perkins dperkins at frii.com
Sun May 14 18:48:07 MDT 2006

I've been comtemplating buying a new laptop and DIY seems like an
        interesting way to go.  It's interesting to see what is and is
        not out
        there.  The motherboard, case and display are sold as a single
        unit ,
        and your options are limited to CPU, memory, wireless and hard
        drive,
        altho you should be able to replace the DVD drive.

        I've found an MSI barebones laptop, the MS-1036 that looks
        promising.
        It's designed for the Athlon64 or Turion, has a 17" display and
        ATI
        Radeon X700 card.  A few companies, such as AVADirect, will
        build it for
        anyone who doesn't want to do it themselves and will even
        pre-install
        Linux, but that adds about $350 to the cost.

        Has anyone in the group considered building their own laptop or
        has
        anyone actually built one?