[clue-talk] building your own laptop

dperkins at frii.com dperkins at frii.com
Wed May 17 17:38:50 MDT 2006

Has anyone in the group built their own laptop?  I decided to go this
route instead of buying a preassembled one.  The parts aren't here yet,
but I ordered an MSI MS-1036 with a 17-inch display, ATI X700 with 256 MB,
Turion 2.2 GHz CPU, 1 GB or RAM, and a Hitachi 80GB 7200 RPM hard drive.

Assembly shouldn't be difficult.  Insert the CPU, memory and wireless
card, and install the drive.

I haven't seen an HP, Dell, or Toshiba with the X700 and most models
probably don't have a 7200 RPM drive.

I'll have to load Linux, of course, but it is possible to get the same
setup preassembled with Linux loaded from a few companies for a few
hundred dollars more.