[clue-talk] Hell freezes over: Microsoft, Novell partner on Linux

Fri Nov 3 11:05:12 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 07:32 -0700, dperkins at frii.com wrote:
> > Kevin Cullis wrote:
> >> Interesting...
> >>
> >> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS2912974320.html
> >
> > Proof that if you can't beat 'em, join em.
> >
> > This is by far the best quote by Steve BALLmer.  It's the best because
> > he has done a complete 180 -  going from absolute derision / hatred of
> > Linux to claiming 'They said it couldn't be done'...
> >
> > "They said it couldn't be done. This is a new model and a true evolution
> > of our relationship that we think customers will immediately find
> > compelling, because it delivers practical value by bringing two of their
> > most important platform investments closer together," Ballmer added.
> > "We're excited to work with Novell, whose strengths include its heritage
> > as a mixed-source company. Resolving our patent issues enables a
> > combined focus on virtualization and Web services management to create
> > new opportunities for our companies and our customers."
> >
> > Surely the end of the world is upon us.
> >
> > Jeff
> > _______
>
> A sign that Vista is a flop?
>
> Considering how Novell fared in their last partnership with MS, I'm
> surprised they are doing it again.

Please expand on that.

This partnership seems to be a "kill VMware" move for Microsoft, or am I
misreading something?  Next question for someone that's read or listened
to the whole thing:  Did MS commit that they will fully support their
OS's when they are virtualized on Linux?  That would be real and meaty.
Running Linux virtualized on Windows is ... not a big deal.