[clue-talk] MS Vista

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Tue Oct 17 06:50:55 MDT 2006

> Has anyone read the license for Vista or an article about it?  You can
> only transfer it once to another machine.  Once.  And you cannot run the
> home version in a VM.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=156

Seems about right to me. The "Home" Version is their cheapest version that
gets installed on OEM machines. The vast majority of those users will use
that machine until it gets old, and then throw it out. They won't get a
new blank machine and try to transfer the old OS to it for a discount.

The "Pro" version is the normal version. I don't get the issue with the
"One time transfer" you're having. It looks to me that you can transfer it
as many times you want within the company. But outside the company you can
only do it once.

People who can't afford it or refuse to buy it will just pirate it. People
who buy PCs with it pre-installed won't care. And IT people who are forced
to work with it will just have to adjust their budgets.

I'm curious about Vista, but I don't see myself jumping on that OS right
away.

Erik Z