[clue-talk] Bletchley Fires up Da "Bombe"

Sun Sep 10 19:01:38 MDT 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:41:40 -0600, Sean LeBlanc wrote
> On 09-07 20:23, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On 9/7/06, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> > >I think this is cool.
> > >
> > >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/07/nbletchley07.xml
> > >
> > >"With a rumble that turned into a roar, a sound not heard at Bletchley
> > >Park for more than half a century, the machine that was at the heart of
> > >Britain's wartime code-breaking triumph began to work again."
> > >
> > >It's actually not one of "the" machines, as they were all destroyed. It's
> > >a re-creation.
> > >

> > Super cool. At least the Brits didn't have the equivalent of the ACLU
> > to oppose intelligence gathering efforts, or we would all be shouting
> > Sieg Heil!
>
> Assuming you're being serious - I didn't know either the ACLU or the New
> York Times opposed intelligence gathering efforts. When did that happen?

Sean, the reference is to the strong "privacy first" position that the ACLU generally
takes, and WRT the Times, to their recent exposé about the telcos cooperating with the
NSA in providing their called-number databases.  The Post took the position that the
telcos and the NSA were wire-tapping without a court order by creating a called-number
database.  This issue is inherently incendiary, so I'll aggravate it by stating my
incendiary opinion.  If our government can jail someone that takes disgusting pictures
of children, someone planning a mass murder, or even a gangster, I'll put up with a
little statistical analysis of my life.