[clue-talk] lsof troubles RHEL3

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Thu Sep 14 16:39:09 MDT 2006

Hi Grant,

I love lsof.

grant at amadensor.com wrote:

> We are on RHEL3.   I am using lsof-4.63-4.1.  On the help page (lsof
> -h) it says "Anyone can list all files;" however, I cannot list any
> files open by anyone but me.

When you run lsof as root does it list all files open by all processes?

> I am trying to copy files after they have been completely written by
> an outside process that I have no control of when it runs.

I take it you are trying to use lsof to check if any processes have the
file open for writing, so you can copy the file when it's all done.
Just so we are on the same page could you please specify the following:

1. full permissions & ownership of lsof binary
2. full uid/gid of user running lsof
3. permissions & ownership of the files that you want to copy

> Does anyone have any ideas?   Any ideas on other ways to tell if it
> was compiled with the HASSECURITY option on, or if it could be some
> other permissions problem?

I'm not sure about RHEL3 but was wondering if you have any SELinux type
extensions or functionality in your kernel?

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/