[clue-talk] recommendation for a 64bit laptop

dperkins at frii.com dperkins at frii.com
Tue Apr 17 11:42:42 MDT 2007

If you plan on buying an AMD64 system, check which Southbridge chip is
used.  The ATI SB600 needs the 2.6.20 kernel or greater.  Since this chip
contains the PATA and SATA interfaces, this is critical.

If it has that chip, the latest Arch Linux supports it.  The Ubuntu beta
should as well.  I don't know if Fedora does, or if there is a new beta
out yet (probably).  I don't think the Gentoo install CD does.

Arch requires more reading and work than most distros, except for Gentoo,
or course. :)