[clue-talk] What I like and don't like about the N800

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Aug 13 13:25:58 MDT 2007

David,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Reading LJ, I thought there'd be something like your analysis here, and
instead I found myself wasting 30-45 minutes reading Doc Searls teach me
crap about GPS software that I already knew.

Then he babbles about how his setup in-flight is legal, which he forgot
he was linked to the GPS receiver via Bluetooth, thus... a receiver and
transmitter, and completely illegal in-flight... on pretty much any U.S.
flagged carrier.

LJ's articles continue their slow slide into uselessness... this month,
an old guy playing with his GPS, while the cover promised a review of
the device he was using.  (Nice review... fly all over the place, never
even talk about the specs of the thing...)

Next month, some other old guy tells us some more about his world travel
to exotic foreign lands to evangelize Linux, while completely ignoring
that his readership will never go there, nor is interested.  (Yeah,
Maddog... that was for you.)

And then for "entertainment" they'll throw in another of Marcel Gagne's
articles where 1/3 of his word count and page space is taken up with his
mythical restraunteur and wine cellar slave.  He actually writes about
interesting things, but he'd have more room to do a good job of it if he
dropped the whole fake-restaurant thing.

LJ has become a serious snoozer of a publication lately.  The cover's
pretty, but the guts are lacking.

Nate