No subject

Thu Dec 20 20:53:45 MST 2007

"The coalition did not act in Iraq because we had discovered dramatic new
evidence of Iraq's pursuit of weapons of mass murder," Mr. Rumsfeld testified
yesterday before the Senate armed services committee.

"We acted because we saw the evidence in a dramatic new light, through the
prism of our experience on 9/11."

It was an about-face from a man who confidently proclaimed in January:
"There's no doubt in my mind but that they [the Iraqi government] currently
have chemical and biological weapons." (He was seconded in March by
Vice-President Dick Cheney, who said of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein:
"We believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons.")

+http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030710.urums0710/BNStory/International/

All I can say is:  WTF?

The Christian Science Monitor has an interesting commentary on this:
 + http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0708/p09s01-coop.html

"Conservatives' lack of interest in the WMD question takes an even more
ominous turn when combined with general support for presidential warmaking.
Republicans - think President Eisenhower, for instance - once took seriously
the requirement that Congress declare war. These days, however, Republican
presidents and legislators, backed by conservative intellectuals, routinely
argue that the chief executive can unilaterally take America into war."

"Thus, in their view, once someone is elected president, he or she faces no
legal or political constraint. The president doesn't need congressional
authority; Washington doesn't need UN authority. Allied support is
irrelevant. The president needn't offer the public a justification for going
to war that holds up after the conflict ends. The president may not even be
questioned about the legitimacy of his professed justification. Accept his
word and let him do whatever he wants, irrespective of circumstances."
--------------

Any responses from the pro-war folks on the list?

I'm interested to hear opinions in light of this annoucement that the main
reason for going to war (i.e., that Iraq has WMD) cited by Bush, Rumsfeld,
Cheney was a BIG FAT LIE.

I am outraged that our so-called leader feels it is necessary to 'act on his
conscience' at the expense of several THOUSANDS of lives (5K-7K killed during
Iraq ware), several BILLIONS of dollars and at the integrity of the office.

Jeff
--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."