No subject

Thu Dec 20 20:53:45 MST 2007

"I don't have a whitespace fetish so right of the bat I don't appear to
qualify for the ranks of the great hackers. I'd admit my shame here if it
weren't for the fact that I've actually gone well beyond the realm of the
Great Hacker. That's right, I'm an Insanely Great Hacker. I know lot's of
Insanely Great Hackers and so I'll follow Paul's lead and proceed to tell
you all about them. The fact all the Insanely Great Hackers I know are
exactly like me is purely coincidental. Please don't be offended if you find
yourself to be less than Insanely Great and only qualify for Great or some
other lesser level of hackerhood."

AND Graham got biled by Hani. If you don't know BileBlog, you probably
aren't doing Java, or at least you aren't reading Java related blogs. The
guy is legendary for smashing down idols:

http://www.freeroller.net/page/fate

Entitled "Paul Graham is a tedious windbag"...in case it rolls down. Hani is
great, even if I often don't agree with him...it's awesome when people
commit heresy. I knew the minute that I saw Paul Graham's comments about
Java being blogged about that it was Hani-bait...sure enough, it showed up
within the week.

For the record, when at first I was reading the Graham article, I was
thinking: "who is this guy, and why is he rehashing ideas from Peopleware &
Mythical Man Month as if they are his own (to be fair, I think he does
reference Brooks explicitly), and then piling on some rather stupid blanket
statements like Python is for hackers, and implying Java is for corporate
drones. Balderdash!" A lot of what he does say I do happen to agree with,
though. Then I made the connection that I actually bought his book (and have
not read yet) _Hackers & Painters_. Hoo boy. I hope his book isn't as silly
as some of this article.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Some women get excited about nothing and then marry him.