[clue-talk] OLPC

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Dec 29 12:39:10 MST 2007

Erik Zolan wrote:
> I'm surprised at all the interest in the OLPC. The eeePC seems to be much
> more interesting, and better looking.
>
> A friend of mine bought it to give Powerpoint presentations in her class
> using Open Office.
The 3e PC is definitely better as a real usable laptop.  But people like
me were disappointed to see the price:  we were told originally the
price point would be about $200.  At $350, it's just overpriced as a
laptop IMO.  Instead, it's a good supplementary device for travel,
portability, and keeping in touch.  Even though it does perform better
than I expected it to, I bought a "real" laptop for under $400.  I'm
sure they'll improve on it, and bring down the price though.  My
criticisms of the 3e PC are:

* Screen size is smaller than it could be.  There are two areas on
either side of the screen which could have been used for a bigger screen.
* The keyboard is too small.  By making the entire device just slightly
wider (or bigger in general) even just by 1 inch, you'd have a lot
easier time typing.  They also wouldn't have to sacrifice increasing the
weight, and it wouldn't make much difference as far as carrying
around--it's still way under the size of a normal laptop.

So, that's why I think they'll come out with better and cheaper models
in the near future (if they didn't produce too many!)  So I'm waiting on
this one.

Angelo