[clue-talk] small Linux-based laptop

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 20:05:39 MST 2007

The gPC (the $200 Walmart PC) has a shortcut to Gmail
on its dock and has Thunderbird as an email client.
Because Firefox is integral to the OS, any other web
email service is accessible as well.

http://www.thinkgos.com/

Links to vendors are on the homepage.

If the purchase is not pressing, I plan on bringing my
gOS box I built using a P2-333 to the installfest for
people to play with.  It's no speed demon but still
usable.

Everex, the company behind the gPC, also has a
notebook called the Zonbu and a mini-PC called the
Zonbox

http://www.zonbu.com/

Pricing is tiered depending on whether or not you
subscribe to their monthly support plan.  The mini-PC
starts at $99 and the notebook starts at $279.

FYI this is NOT their gOS notebook.  This one runs a
modified Gentoo with XFCE.

An interesting feature of the Zonbu machines is:

[From Wikipedia]
The filesystem architecture combines a transparent
overlay filesystem (pioneered by Linux Live
Distributions) with an on-line continuous backup
service to create a self-healing architecture. User
data is locally cached on Compact Flash Card, then
transparently encrypted with 128-bit encryption and
transferred to remote storage servers on Amazon S3
from where it's also accessible from any
Internet-connected device.

I would love to know how to do that and wonder if it
can be used in a similar way that roaming profiles are
used in a Windows Active Directory, i.e. I log onto
any of my boxes and I'm presented with the same
desktop environment and files.  I wonder how
concurrent access and synchronization would be
handled.  Still the idea of having a centralized home
directory is appealing.