[clue-talk] national ID card

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Mon Jul 2 06:48:26 MDT 2007

On 07-01 22:16, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 11:42:27 -0600
> Dennis J Perkins wrote:
>
> > Have you considered why Western Europe has strong privacy laws?  What
> > happened when the Nazis conquered a country?  They used the records to
> > arrest Jews and possible opponents.
>
> To say nothing of the fact that the U.S. govt. used Census records to
> locate Japanese people during WWII.
>
> See http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/06/risks_of_data_r.html for
> Bruce Schneiers relevant remarks.

Like Dennis, I didn't know about that one. I've read IBM & the Holocaust,
and to me, it was quite the cautionary tale about worst-case scenarios of
unparalleled organization (for its time) + bad intentions.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
The world at large does not judge us by who we are and what we know; it judges
us by what we have.
-Joyce Brothers