[clue-talk] rapid replicating machine

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 06:29:02 MDT 2007

On 07-25 23:33, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:

> Here is an interesting project.  A machine that builds parts thru
> extrusion.  It's the 3D printer that people talk about from time to time.
>
> http://www.reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome
>

> In other cases, a CNC is needed for shaping wood, metal and plastic.
> www.shopbottools.com sells them, but they're still pricy.

I'll recommend that book Worldchanging (probably again). I think
home/desktop fabs were discussed in there. If you like Boing Boing, it's a
good bet you'll like at least parts of Worldchanging. Don't let the intro by
Al Gore advertised on the cover put you off, if you happen not to like
him...

When I went searching for some links, I did dig up this comparison of
different methods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_freeform_fabrication

There was also this humorous one. A candy fab.

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/candyfab

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
The only reward of virtue is virtue; the only way to have a friend is to be
one.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Essays"