[clue-talk] national ID card

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 29 11:48:02 MDT 2007

Brian Gibson wrote:
> National ID is a one-stop shop.  I've got mixed feelings about the whole idea.  There are benefits and drawbacks on both sides of the argument.  The fact is information about you is already out there in the hands of various organizations, both public and private.  The government simply needs to pool all these disparate sources together and they can easily get a profile about you.  Businesses already make money by doing this (mostly about your purchasing habits and potential).  I suppose it's just the cost to pool these sources together is just one hurdle preventing the government from nonchalantly abusing such power.
>
> Should a national ID or some flavor of it be implemented I'd certainly want to be able to have access to said information so that I may verify .  One of the biggest problems I have is that often I don't know what you know nor do I know who you are, "you" being some organization interested in me.  At least this way I know who's looking at my information, when and what they looked at (assuming they have access), and perhaps even why.
>
> If only the government wasn't so slanted on keeping the power to themselves when implementing a national ID.  (In a way it sort of parallels what the pharmaceutical companies are doing when it comes to patenting a genome (human or otherwise) which is arguably already in the public domain.)  The government shouldn't be able to take ownership of my information.  I certainly don't mind giving access to my information on a need-to-know basis.  It's not like I don't already do so.  Plus there are already many de facto IDs in place---driver's license/state ID, social security number, passport, credit cards, etc. that are used separately and in conjunction to verify who I say I am.
>
> It's simply inevitable that should you choose to live on the grid that there will be a time when a national ID will become commonplace or technology will make the need for one moot.  Hopefully the government of that not too distant future won't be totalitarian.
Hmmm, that's an interesting way of thinking about it.  And I'll have to
think about this from a philosophical standpoint.  Imagine a world where
the philosophy was that everything was open, and everyone knew everyone
else.  Sort of like a bigger version of a small-town.  It could give a
broader sense of community, and maybe after a few generations make
people less paranoid in general.

It could be abused.  The key is to make sure everything is open, and
available to everyone.  I know most people will disagree with me, but I
see something valuable in open information and what people would call
lack of privacy.  I don't really mind so much that people want privacy,
I just think it's an antiquated sentiment that we got from recently
being a frontier people/nation.  And I think these steps that seem
painful to us are just a natural progression of our society.  I think if
you grew up in a world where there was less expectation of privacy, then
you wouldn't care so much about what people knew.  And as a good bonus,
you'd probably also care more about what you did and act more responsible.

Angelo

--
http://angelo.bertolli.org/