[clue-talk] national ID card

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Fri Jun 29 13:19:30 MDT 2007

On 06-29 10:53, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I think a national ID is fine as long as it's not required.  I'm not
> opposed to an opt-in national ID.  But I really don't see much
> difference between having a national ID and your drivers license anyway,
> except maybe they're less organized at the state level.  And what about
> people who don't drive?

One problem is that giving out your SSN used to be (pre-9/11, not sure what
happened since - I think Know Your Customer would override that at a bare
minimum for banks) opt-in, too, with two exceptions, IIRC: 1. Under a
subpoena, and 2. Taxes.

Every other disclosure was supposedly "voluntary". Know too many people that
put that into practice?

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Texas law forbids anyone to have a pair of pliers in his possession.