[clue-talk] Vintage Voltage Expo

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Wed Mar 21 09:14:45 MDT 2007

On 03-20 20:33, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at comcast.net> wrote:
> >I'm lurking on the Denver Mad Scientists' list, and someone mentioned this:
> >
> >http://www.danacain.com/about5.html
> >
> >Seems pretty interesting, though I'm not really going to buy anything.
> >
> >The Tesla Tech thing sounds interesting.
>
> Yeah, that's a new gathering this year, should be interesting.  I'm
> still deciding if I can make it to that one or not...
>
> There's also four Front Range area HamFests listed so far on the ARRL
> calendar:

Speaking of radio...maybe some folks on here know something about DRM (no,
not THAT DRM[*]). I was wondering what others might know about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Radio_Mondiale

I sometimes try to poke around and see if there will be anything in the U.S.
with this as I find it very interesting. It seems to be something very real
in the EU, and from what I can tell, the rather bogus HD radio is being
pushed here.

Don't know much about ham, though at the last Clue, Dennis told me about the
requirements for Morse being dropped. I would think that would do just what
you say: garner interest AND inflame some of the people at the same time. :)

[*] Names seem to matter a lot. I would think the DivX codec probably
suffer[s|ed] a bit because of the association that name has with that stupid
failure of a product from Circuit City back in the late 90's. Lisp is
another...man, what a dumb name. If Lisp had been given a sexier name like
Java, Java and C++ might never have happened. :)

Come to think of it, has *anything* ever been decided on technical merits
alone? It always seems to come down to marketing, emotional attachments to
things - hence the emphasis on "branding", and spurious aspects of the
market.

Okay, done my rambling...

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit for doing them.
-Benjamin Jowett