[clue-talk] Microsoft Claims 235 Patents Violated

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon May 14 21:44:20 MDT 2007

David L. Willson wrote:
> I'm not talking about copying ideas, I'm talking about copying programs,
> the products of the work of an individual or company.

But, but... patents are essentially ideas.  They're not suing anyone for
copyright infringement.  They're threatening suits based on them
claiming that they had an innovative idea and that idea should be
protected so they can make some money off of it.  I'm really unclear
about who they can and can't sue.  They can sue anyone who USES the
technology?  Or just the people who produce the software?

Patents weren't originally meant to make property out of ideas.  They
were meant to encourage people to have new ideas and inventions by
giving them the ability to make a little bit of money off of it before
the rest of the world could benefit.  But I think they've screwed up
that idea.

--
Angelo Bertolli
[Tech http://bitfreedom.com | Gaming http://heroesonly.com]