[clue-talk] fun articles about Linux from a Windows user's standpoint

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu May 24 19:49:13 MDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> This guy did a pretty "fun" job comparing some distros and talking
> about the problems that complete Linux newbies invariably run into.
>
> His stories of fighting with a widescreen laptop and the Intel
> 810/915 type video chipset made me laugh out loud -- been there, done
> that.

I couldn't quite laugh. My "pet" distro Ubuntu has ignored the wide
screen problem for three releases now in favor of screwing around with
3D stuff that isn't ready for prime time.

> And his responses to some of the typical fan-boy Linux user
> challenges he received via e-mail after article #1 are funny enough
> to retain a sense of humor but still cover the important topic of why
> people switch over to Linux.  His jabs at the money/marketing of
> Apple also ring funny.
>

> Pretty entertaining for a Linux distro round-up.  Wow did he get some
> strange distro recommendations, or what?  Although I'm SURE that's
> common for many switchers... hundreds of distros, you're bound to run
> across folks with their favorite "pet" distro who will claim it's
> better than toasted bread with butter and jam on top.

At least he got across the point that Vista after megabucks/years of
development isn't in much better shape than any Linux distro.

--
Collins Richey