[clue-talk] Re: Bible Academia

Mon Oct 1 20:53:19 MDT 2007

> > For example, is it right or wrong to stone a woman who was caught in
> > adultery?  The God of the Old Testament prescribed this measure.  Then
> > Jesus changed our thinking about this.
>
> I think I've mentioned this before, but I think that's commonly thought of
> as a forgery. And Jesus did have that quote that I think Jed put in here
> about not coming to change the law. It becomes a sticky wicket as the Brits
> say, then. As you say later, though most people pick the choice Jesus made,
> even if that part is a forgery, and even if they aren't Christians.

Jesus didn't come to change the law, because you can't change the law,
you can change how we express the law in convention, but the law itself,
perhaps best expressed in Jesus' "two commandments" is unchangeable.

We need to do more citations.  I'm not sure where in the old testament
God says to stone women caught in adultery, and I would like to read it
in context.

On John 8:1-11, the Pericope of the Adultress, I found a very neat
website which argues at great length for it's authenticity.

In any case, we need to remember that Jewish laws (and customs) were not
what Jesus was here to uphold, but the thing that they reflect.