[clue-talk] Fair Tax

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Tue Oct 2 09:15:10 MDT 2007

This sounds a lot like the "Flat Tax" proposals that we've seen
recently.  I have the same problems with the so-called "Fair Tax" as
with the "Flat Tax".

1) It's a regressive tax.  People with less income spend more of it, so
more would be taxed.  This is hardly fair.
2) The "loopholes for special interests" that the website is so
concerned with affect me.  I'm 3 special interest groups rolled into one;
    *) A parent
    *) A home owner
    *) A small business owner
If I spend money on new office equipment, I don't have to pay tax on
that money.  It seems to me that small businesses are worth helping.
Similarly, home ownership is a good thing and worth encouraging.  As are
children.  Yes, Kevin, I know you don't think that the government should
help children.  You're in the minority.
3) We want to *encourage* spending, not *discourage* it.  Granted, the
same thing can be said about income, but the purpose of replacing an
existing system is to do something *measurably better*.   Replacing bad
with bad doesn't make much sense.

-Dave