[clue-talk] BAARF - Battle Against Any Raid Five (er, Four, er Free.)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Oct 22 01:23:14 MDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 10:35 PM, Collins Richey wrote:

> On 10/21/07, Dan Poler <dpoler at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> [ much useful data snipped ]
>
>> Bottom line is, don't assume RAID5 is evil; depends on the need
>> and the
>> hardware and software driving it. If you need to deploy a storage
>> solution, spend some time playing around with tools like iozone to
>> see
>> what makes the most sense for your needs -- configure a couple
>> ways and
>> do performance testing that mimics the block sizes your
>> application (or
>> filesystem) will be using.
>>

> Finally someone with a lick of common sense.

That's pretty rude, Collins -- not like you.  Apparently you had
nothing to add to the conversation other than an insult?

You apparently don't believe I would have recommended the same
thing?  Block size performance and RAID performance aren't (even
close) to the same topic.  They're certainly related when looking at
the overall big picture of a storage solution, but this is a
discussion of the misuses of RAID-5, not a complete "solution"
discussion.

I was pointing out that few people understand the basic differences
between the different RAID levels, and don't take those basic design
differences into account when they want a redundant drive array.
This started by sharing a website with some halfway-decent technical
articles for the reasons why RAID-5 isn't always the correct solution.

Some people pick "RAID 5" for their md arrays because they've heard
of it before, and "5" is a higher number, so it just *must* be better
than a measley little "1", right!?! - Ha -- and then they go with it
-- without knowing they could up their performance AND their
reliability both, by using 01/10 in many cases.  Each case has to be
looked at separately.

For small servers doing all of this via "md" with no help from the
hardware (RAID + hardware cache in hardware), the use of RAID 5 in
certain scenarios can be a severe performance hit, and also turns out
to be a reliability hit, when the risk-analysis math is done.

That's all I was saying.  I'm not wrong.  Feel free to explain your
position though, since you have one (apparently) but didn't bother to
share.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com