[clue-talk] That's a win?

Tue Oct 30 14:06:41 MDT 2007

As you know, Microsoft posts a mess of "win" stories to show how a
company with billions can win against a bunch of hippies, any day.  Now
and then, I read these stories, to keep my misdirector detector tuned
up.  Today, I found something I didn't expect.  Honesty.  And a probable
lack of math abilities in the article approver person.

Here's the article:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/InterviewDetails.mspx?recid=6

And the section I find so fascinating:

"Q: How are you using Linux or Open Source software in your environment
today?
"A: We're not a big user of open source, to be honest. We have a content
management system on Linux, which we're moving to Windows. We have a few
applications—such as fleet management—on Linux. It's maybe 10 or 15
applications out of 150, and about 2.5 percent of our IT spend."

Doesn't supporting 7-10% of your application space in 2.5% of your
spending count as a win for Linux?