[clue-talk] Woot - ooxml denied

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Tue Sep 4 12:01:34 MDT 2007

I hope ISO implements a few changes before then to prevent what Microsoft attempted to do this time, ballot stuffing.  Hopefully, a second attempt next year fails too.  Apart from the absurdity of a 6000+ document that was submitted as a proposed standard, it includes errors, backwards compatibility for every document format that MS supported in the past, incomplete implentation details, etc.  And altho ISO has multiple standards in other areas, they either do not overlap directly, e.g., HTML and ODF, or the additional standards are enhancements that occurred since the original standard was approved.  I don't know if the issue of patents was covered either.

This episode makes me wonder what MS might be willing to do in manipulating regular politics if they went thru this much effort for ISO.

It also makes me very wary of accepting MS's proposed open source licenses.

From: "Dave Price" <kinaole at gmail.com>